Re: [OM] OM-2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000
From: John Levin <jlevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 22:22:51 -0500
I own an OM-2000, with the standard zoom lens, (having received it in trade it from Olympus America for my non-functional XA2 plus a modest amount of cash). It handles Zuiko lenses well, but the docs say that it will not properly illuminate the focussing screen with macro lenses. (Additionally, it does not have interchangeable focusing screens). It does have a spot meter, and an average meter with an LED readout (which I find distracting, as I would have liked more LEDs to show me how far over or under the meter was reading or even (gasp) a needle). It also has only a hot shoe, but no X-sync jack. There's a built in double exposure function. There is mirror lockup with the self timer. There's no provision for a motor drive. Some people don't like the fact that the film advance lever must be pulled open to activate the shutter, but it's only a minor annoyance for me. Speeds go from 1 second to 1/2000th, and synch at 1/125th (which is very nice, or not, depending on how you feel about that). The shutter is a mechanical curtain.

My previous SLR was a Fujica ST 701, so I don't mind the bare bones approach. Incidentally, this camera (the OM-2000) is currently hot stuff with astrophotographers, and others who make very long exposures, as it doesn't have any of that autofocus, autoexposure crap which makes their lives miserable. My early results with it have been very gratifying, and having quality lenses is a good part of it.