Re: [OM] Flash and wide angle lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash and wide angle lenses
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 21:21:21 EST
Ijpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< This reminds me.  I've seen a chart showing the angles of view of various

John,

The angle of coverage of both lenses and flashes for OM is on Hans's sif
webpages.   http://www.veluwen.demon.nl/om-sif.htm

Note: as a general rule, the angle of coverage for independent flashes is
much narrower than that of the most of the camera vendors system flashes. For
example most of the Sunpak and Vivitatar flashes (without zoom heads) only
cover 35mm focal length lenses without a diffuser. While the OM covers 24mm
lernses, a huge area difference. The narrow angle coverage boosts the GN for
sales hype.  Nikon flashes tend to cover 28mm, Contax  25mm. Many Metz
flashes cover 28mm. This means the Metz handle mount flashes are actually
substantially more powerful than say the corresponding Sunpak units but with
prices to match. For some of the lowest cost flashes say the bottom of the
line Achiever units the angle of coverage is only suitable for 50mm lenses
but the higher power Achiever flashes have better angle of coverage. Since
the flash area covered varies as the square of the angle of acceptance of the
lens you need a lot more power for a wide lens.  Read the fine print
carefullty when buying your flash!

Tim Hughes
hi100@xxxxxxx