RE: [OM] 2gabe watch continues

Subject: RE: [OM] 2gabe watch continues
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 13:33:15 -0600

> How about this one, folks? Lists a NIB OM 50/3.5 macro, reserve met and
> auction ends less than 24 hours after listing, selling price $53.
> Is this for
> real?
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=253865856

Notice the bidder:  dahab24q@xxxxxxx

He seems to be using this as a shill for some of his auctions. Now eBay
rules do allow the seller to place a single bid on his own item, but this
variation is  deceptive. On this particular auction, I don't see a real
problem. His alias was high bidder when he ended the auction a minute or two
later. He will still be paying ebay fees, so he's out some money. No one had
a higher bid. But it still doesn't smell good. And if he subsequently uses
dahab24q@xxxxxxx  to post good feedback for himself, that will be
fraudulent.

It is in the same vein as the auction that started the whole '2gabe' watch.
Pete was high bidder on that OM4, but his bid had not met reserve. The
seller is completely within his rights to end the auction before reserve is
met, and is under no obligation to anyone who has bid under the reserve.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx