[OM] RE:

Subject: [OM] RE:
From: "Chris G." <knocka@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 07:49:26 -0500
Go to www.zuiko.com.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of John Biccum
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 3:43 AM
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After a couple of weeks reading the reflector looking for an XA for sale I
gave up and bought an XA with a A11 flash mail-order ($139 from KEH). Before
the camera arrived I commented to an acquaintance that I had just paid more
that the original new price for a 20-year-old camera. When I described the
XA she said "I have two just like that at home, both are broken and are not
worth fixing. Would you like to have them?

The two broken cameras turned out to be one XA and one XA2. Each camera was
equipped with an A11 flash. The XA had an interlock problem, now fixed
($20). The XA2 needed a repair to the exposure counter ($30). The XA from
KEH was returned as soon as it arrived. I gave the XA2 to my vision-impaired
mother who can no longer focus her SLR. The XA now is as ubiquitous to me as
my cell phone- I don't leave home without both of them.

A few days later I told this XA/XA2 story to another acquaintance who said
"I have an OM2 at home that is broken and not worth fixing. Do you want it?"
The "OM2" turned out to be an OM1MD with a 50mm f1.8 Zuiko and a Super
Cosina 35-135mm f3.5 macro zoom. The OM1 mirror does not return for several
seconds after the shutter is pressed. Sometimes the mirror does not return
until the shutter is recocked. If the mirror return takes place after
recocking the shutter the mirror return is accompanied by a sound like the
sound the self-timer makes in operation. (The self-timer seems to be working
properly).

I agreed to make a donation to the charity of the donor's choice equal to
the value of the two lenses- the camera body was free. How should I proceed
on the OM1 repair?