[OM] tuning a piano

Subject: [OM] tuning a piano
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 22:54:42 -0800 (PST)
==================
I'll have to have a talk to the piano and harmonica tuners I know,
then, who don't use equal temperment.
==================

Good idea.  I'd expect they are using either one of Werckmeister's
temperments (either Werckmeister II or Werckmeister III) or Mean Tone.
These are typically used by harpsichord players even today, and they
permit modulations of key signature up to 3 sharps or flats away
from the tone on which the temperment is rooted.

These will permit playing all Renaissance keyboard music, most
Baroque music (an exception is the Well-Tempered Clavier of course),
and even a fair bit of Mozart.  But you can forget about playing Chopin
or later music, and much of Beethoven is problematic.  That's why
it is rare for people to tune pianos to something other than
equal temperment today.

Another thing to note is that some people think "mean tone" is "just
intonation", but it isn't.  It is a temperment, meaning it is an approximation
to just intonation to permit some key modulation (but not as much key
modulation as equal temperment).

Hope that helps.

Joseph