Re: [OM] ES-10 scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] ES-10 scanner
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 20:21:22 +0100
LARS BUNDESEN wrote:

> I have got an offer to buy an Olympus negative/slide ES-10 scanner.
> The seller wants 2000 DKK (c. 275 $) which he claims is half of the new
> price here.
>
> I'd like to have a scanner to scan my slides, but I know very little about
> scanners.
>
> Is this Olympus model a good one, and is the price fair ?(they are probably
> cheaper in the US (we have 25 % VAT here in Denmark)).
> Do I need extra software to make it work?
>
> Or should I go for something more expensive to get better quality?
> (At the moment I don't want to pay a helluva lot to get such a machine)
>
> Any help and advice is appreciated.
>
> Lars

Hi Lars,

2000 DKK is way too much (IMO). I bought mine new from Jessops in the UK
one year ago for 199 UKP (approx 2200 DKK). This is was the parallel port
version. It is true that the price here in Denmark was in the 4000kr range,
which was why I got mine by mail order.

Besides, I am not so impressed by the quality. Colour negatives usually
go ok, but it does not have the dynamic range needed for reliable scanning
of slides. It works OK for B&W.
It is sold with the necessary driver, but the software is not impressive.

Now my friends Nikon LS30, that's something... at 4 times the price.
If I were to buy today I'd check out the HP S20. It looks good on paper.

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://home.worldonline.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"