Re: [OM] Questions about light set-ups

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions about light set-ups
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:57:56 -0800
PS: Charles: for now I intend to focus only on using colour film, going to
B/W would just add another "unknown" factor for me, so for the time being I
will probably try to gradually go from simple set-ups to more complicated
ones, and when I feel I have enough experience with colour, I might try some
B/W shots.==========

Smith - Victor among others make quartz studio lights.  They are not cheap
and are of pro quality.  I don't know about the color temperature because I
don't
use them.
It was my thought originally they you and others that asked about portrait
lighting
were trying to use what you had or spend little on the set ups for testing
purposes.
Some of the options suggested were a little extreme for the purpose.
It is not necessary to go that far.
I sometimes use one T-32 and a Om2.  The flash is on a cheap stand with an
equally cheap umbrella.
One auto cord (6ft.) and I use TTL.  An 85mm lens of any kind will fill the
frame.
F5.6 or f8.  Use different angles and white cards or newspapers as
reflectors.
Use the compensation dial for exposure tests.  + 1/3  - 2/3 usually is nice.
Ask the lab to print for the faces.  That's it, Easy and effective.
By the way, you _can_ use direct flash!  It is just another style.
Get those reflectors as close as possible without getting in the frame for
starters.

Have fun with it!
Charlie L.