Re: [OM] 35-80

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 00:19:37 +0000
I did not really envision the 35-80 as being a replacement for my fixed
focal length lenses but rather as an adjunct to them - a mini system in
it's own right.

I have encountered circumstances where I have needed to switch
between primes carried in pockets, juggling lens caps, hoods etc.  The
hoods in particular are not very pocket friendly.  In such circumstances I
think the 35-80 would be of considerable benefit.  I personally find that
hassles with equipment do not help my mental state or I suspect the
quality of the photographs that result.

The 35-80 is not light, however my nearest equivalent combo to that you
suggest (28/2 (hypothetical), 50/1.2, 90/2) would weigh 1080g.  The 35-80
is 650g.  A considerable weight saving, with fewer hassles, and still with
prime comparable performance.  Your combination at 670g would be
comparable in weight though would not be more compact except individually.

I was not considering the 35-80 to substitute for primes entirely - my
hypothetical primes would still be 21, 28, 50...  For me, this makes more
sense than 24, 35, 50... or even 21, 35.  Another advantage of the
28/2 over the 35/2 is that it has close focus correction.

I have not liked zooms either, I do not use one.  However, I think the
35-80 has good enough performance that one would not fear that it's use
might compromise image quality.

I would have a 28/2, 50/1.2, 90/2 macro and the 35-80.  I think my milage
is actually pretty close to yours, just more expensive and versatile.

Giles