[OM] Film advance woes with OM-1n: Please help

Subject: [OM] Film advance woes with OM-1n: Please help
From: Dogbreath <hopi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:14:01 -0600 (CST)
Hi.

I have an OM-1n which will, it appears, sometimes fail to advance the film
properly. On a roll of 36 exposures, I will often have two or three
exposures occupying one and half frames. I first suspected the rewind knob,
but it seems to stay put and will only release when properly turned. Next I
suspected the advancing spool, just to the right of the aperture (when
facing the open camera back). However, when I loaded a dummy roll and
watched the film advance as I wound and fired the camera, the advance spool
seemed to be working reliably. Lastly, I suspected that somehow the film
was not engaging the advance spool properly, perhaps 'cause the pressure
plate wasn't exerting adequate pressure or perhaps 'cause the wound film
was sitting loosely enough on the take up spool that its diameter was large
enough to, in effect, guide the film up and over the registration pins of
the take up spool. Again, though, winding film through the camera while
watching with the back open hasn't really born any of these ideas out, with
the exception of the pressure plate, which, obviously, can't be tested this
way. The pressure plate looks to be sitting at the right height and feels
as springy as ever.

Please tell me what you, OM-1 owners out there, have done when faced with this.

Thanks!

DB