Re: [OM] Olympus 85/2

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus 85/2
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:28:46 +0100
: Are there two versions of this lens?  If so, what is the difference between
: the two (5 elements in 4 groups vs. 6 elements in 5 groups)? Someone has
: offered me one at a reasonable price.

The one in my SIF (10-79) says 6 elements in 4 groups, length 46mm, the Lens
Handbook (10-85) says 5 elements in 4 groups, length 48mm. The weight in both
specs is 260g.
The World of OM Systems specifies a weight of 270g for the 6 elements in 4
groups
F.Zuiko, length 46mm.
My silver nosed F.Zuiko weighs 257g w/o caps and has a length of 46.5mm.

In the SIF the picture was not updated: the page is labeled Zuiko MC 85mm F2,
but
the picture shows a silver nosed F.Zuiko. The lens cross-section diagram however
show the more recent 5/4 version (identical to the diagram in the Lens
Handbook).
So they just forgot to update not only the picture but also the optical
construction and length. The construction was probably changed simultaneously
with
the coating.
The lens cross-section in The World of OM Systems reveals what was changed:
elements 2 and 3, forming group 2 in the early version, were combined into one
element in the recent version, with similar shape. This explains why there is
almost no difference in size and weight.

H@nz