Re: [OM] 35mm focal length

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm focal length
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:37:53 +0000
I take your point, however I always have thought about my lenses in terms
of angle of view.  The difference between 35mm and 21mm is 29 deg.
Between 50mm and 85mm it is 18 deg.  Would one not consider a short tele
between a 50mm and a 135mm, that is a 29 deg spread also?

I have encountered circumstances when I would have preferred a slightly
wider angle of view than the 24mm gives and where one can't just step
back.  The sky is one subject that comes to mind.  I might not be able to
step closer with the 21mm either but if it is in the frame you can crop it
but if it isn't you are sunk.

I think the 35-80 would provide the opportunity for more shots I otherwise
wouldn't have got than it would spoil ones I did get.  You are right
though.  There always seem to be compromises but those on the list who own
the 35-80 seem to convey the impression that the 35-80 is not much, if
any, of a compromise over fixed focal length zuikos within it's range.

Giles