RE: [OM] 35mm focal length

Subject: RE: [OM] 35mm focal length
From: "Ron Spolarich" <caesar2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:24:06 -0500
Joseph:  Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't flare caused when we shoot
to close to the sun or any other bright light source?  That being the case,
I'd still take the 35-80F2.8

RonS

Joseph stated:

<You probably would not use an 18mm lens very much, and it would be
an expensive source of extra weight in your bag.  You really don't
need a lens in between 21mm and 35mm.  those two focal lengths are
in a ratio of 3:5, which is ideal for consecutive focal lengths.
they are closer in ratio than a 50mm and 85mm lens, but you wouldn't feel
a need for some other lens between 50mm and 85mm, would you?

the difference between 24 and 21 probably isn't enough to justify
selling one lens and buying the other, unless you have identified
some situation where you can't shoot the scene with 24mm.

I think if you sell your 35/2 and buy a 35-80/2.8, you won't be
all that happy the day you get a slide ruined by flare with the
zoom.  It just isn't possible for a zoom with so many elements
to be as well controlled for flare.

Joseph>