Re: [OM] lens comparisons : apologies to Doris!

Subject: Re: [OM] lens comparisons : apologies to Doris!
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:12:18 -0800
Nice work, George!

George makes the point repeatedly about the Zuikos being faster than the
competition.  Let's not forget the difference the lens speed makes on
focusing ability. The three Zuiko's tested by Photodo are a joy to focus
with a 2-4, 2-13 or Beattie screen.  The ability to hit focus on the
mark and fast is a characteristic of a lens that is very important - but
overlooked in the numbers/letters game.

IMHO, a lens that gets a C grade or worse wide open is going to be
difficult to focus on all but the most contrasty and distinct of lines.
We are seeing the same image that is projected on the film.  I can now
predict by the image in the viewfinder if a lens will be a C grade wide
open. Mush = mush. Thus, Photodo ignoring wide open performance is a
serious oversight.  It is ultracritical to focusing ease in an SLR lens.

I recently added two resolution charts to my lens tests.  But without a
microscope there isn't anything I can presently do with them.  However,
the point I want to make is that in a great lens the line patterns
actually flicker when in focus with a 2-4 screen (especially when viewed
through a varimagnifinder). With a mush lens, you just have to guess at
focus.

My most memorable lens from an ease of focus perspective: 90mm f/2 Macro
Zuiko and 250mm f/2 Zuiko.

Maybe Photodo waited so long to test Zuikos because they knew it would
open a Pandora's Box concerning their grading assumptions?  A single
number for a whole lens.  How silly.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV