Re: [OM] contents of main camera case

Subject: Re: [OM] contents of main camera case
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:51:28 -0600
>I am starting to have a lot of negatives, but have so
>far made no move to organize them.
>
>How does the experienced Zuikoholic store, categorize,
>keep for eternity those precious negs?

The best way I have found to keep slides and negatives organized and stored
is using the poly sheets (3-ring binder types).  I place them inside
hanging folders which are categorized by subject or project.  These are
then stored in portable file boxes (I have six boxes which are pretty well
packed).  Slides are easy to organize as you can place individual images
from a roll into any slide sheet in any folder.  Negatives are a bit
tougher as you need to cut the strips and move individual images or groups
of images around to the different negative sheets.  I used to just store
the results of an entire roll together along with a proof sheet, but now
that I shoot more neg films I try to do the same as with the slides.  I'm
not currently bothering with proof sheets, as I can read negatives pretty
well.

The filing method has worked extremely well for me and I can find any
properly filed image within two-three minutes among the nearly 20,000 in
the six boxes.  Other than the marked folders, I have no indexing system.
One box contains just subjects from Virginia/North Carolina/Tennessee and
they are categorized into national parks, rivers or particular projects
(fly fishing, Cataloochee, White Mountain, etc.)  If a particular folder
gets too fat I might break it down a bit more.  For instance, one more trip
to Great Smokey Mountain National Park will probably result in a box all
for itself with individual folders for Ramsey Cascades, Clingman's Dome,
Andrews' Bald, etc.  (one week in the mountains usually results in
1000-2000 images).  By storing the pictures by subject in the sheets it is
easy to break them out into different folders in the future.  I try not to
cross subjects on any one sheet.  Therefore there are many sheets with open
slots in them.

For slides I am primarily using Print File archival sheets.  Style no.
2x2-20B.  For negs I have a hodgepodge of sheets mostly from Unicolor and
Print File.