[OM] OM system from a Canon view--long/was "New member"

Subject: [OM] OM system from a Canon view--long/was "New member"
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:48:22 EST
Hi Martin,

    Recognize you from the Canon FD list, and as I also shoot Canon I'll lead
off on camera bodies and then lenses--which I've chosen to compliment my
Canon gear.

    My OM1 and OM4T are both quieter than any Canon SLR I've
experienced--with the possible exception of the A2E. And they are smaller and
less conspicuous as well.  Only the Canon T90 can match the OM4 for metering
flexibility, but it's built-in motor drive, substantial noise and the big
yellow, garish T90 emblazoned on it will definitely draw attention anyplace
other than a Tokyo park on a Sunday afternoon. My Canon EF is substantially
larger and more than twice as loud as either OM.

    With respect to lenses, I would like to preface this with the suggestion
that you make sure you get multicoated lenses with the Olympus--it does make
a difference!  Moving up in focal length, I'll start with the 21F3.5--this is
an undisputed star of the OM line--petite with just a 49mm filter thread (1/2
to 1/3 the weight and volume of the Canon 20F2.8 monster with it's 72mm
filter thread), contrasty and sharp, with minimal (I don't notice any)
vignetting. It's been compared favorably to the likes of the Zeiss 21F2.8
Biogon of the Contax G system. In it's own way it's as much of a
technological "tour de force" as any Canon "L" lens--obtaining it's
performance with only 7 elements. A bit expensive though, but worth it.

     Because Canon is so strong in the 24mm length--with highly regarded 1.4,
2.0 and 2.8 lenses, I'm going to skip the 24 and go to 28mm. Here Olympus has
highly regarded F2.0 and F2.8 lenses. My 28F2.0MC OM lens is at least as
sharp as my Canon 28F2.0SSC(SSC = MC Olympians), while being about half the
size with a 49mm filter thread. Canon's own single coated 28F2.8 FD lens is
not well regarded while the Olympus 28F2.8 is both well regarded and
multicoated. Avoid the 28F3.5(which is only single coated in any
event)--while I have had a good one, a number of people have been
disappointed.

     Both Canon and Olympus are strong in the 35mm range (Canon with it's
floating element construction in F2.0 and Olympus with the rare but expensive
40F2.0MC pancake lens), but I'll skip to straight to 50.  Again both are very
strong here, but the OM50F1.8 MC lens is special, with a very high regard (I
own 2 of them) and inexpensive availability. The Canon 50F1.8 is nice, but
not multicoated. The 50F1.4MC (I own 1), 50F2.0macro and 50F1.2 are also
superb--my OM 50F1.4MC definitely equals or exceeds my Canon 50F1.4SSC. The
later two however, have become legends--the general comparison being the
Leica M Summicron. I have not used them yet--but I will.

     I'm going to skip 85 as well because my Canon 85F1.8SSC was definitely
sharper than a 85F2.0(although it seemed contrasty) single coated OM lens and
because that I think the OM 100F2.0 (only multicoated) is the "piece de
resistance" of the entire OM line. Overkill construction (7 elements, LD
glass, floating elements, and a 2 foot minimum focusing distance), make this
my hands down favorite OM lens of all time--subjectively I can add that it
has superb sharpness, contrast and "bokeh". So I have to recommend this over
the less expensive (but still well regarded) 100F2.8 MC OM lens. This is the
one place where Canon has no FD equivalent to what this lens can do. Only in
the EOS line, with the 135F2.0 L lens that focusses to 3 feet are they close,
and that lens is much bigger. It's an expensive lens but definitely worth it.
The OM 90F2.0 macro lens is definitely in the same class also, but I
personally preferred the slightly smaller 100F2.0.

    Lastly, I can recommend the 65-200F4.0 zoom and the 180F2.8MC Olympus
lenses. My own 65-200 has given very good results so far (I just got it a few
months ago) and seems as sharp as my Canon 80-200F4.0 non-L and 50-135F3.5
zooms, but it is push-pull like the "L" 80-200 Canon. The 180F2.8 OM is
sharper than an Olympus 200F5.0, but not quite as sharp as either of my Canon
200s--a F2.8 FD IF and a F4.0 FD IF. Nor does it have internal focus. But
it's still a nice lens. Some on the OM list feel the Tamron 180F2.5 LD lens
is a better choice--particularly if you are going to do astro-photography.

I don't shoot anything beyond 200, so I'm going to stop here and recommend
that you review Gary Reese's OM lens test site, which is very comprehensive
and includes testing of multiple samples and non OM lenses including quite a
few Canon FDs!

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

Alex

<< Hi everyone!

    I am new to the list. I've been using Canon up to now (both FD and
 EOS) and I am going to give Olympus / Zuiko a try.

    I don't have any Olympus body and, though I don't have any Zuiko
 lens anymore I've done so in the past (and have used them via adapter on
 Canon bodies).

    I would like a basic setup recommendation. I am considering the
 following bodies: OM1, 1N, 2 (in any incarnation), and 4 (if there is any
 affordable 3 around there it would be fine to know that, but the Ti is quite
 expensive for me). I would like to know about:

 - ruggedness
 - metering patterns (average, spot, fine spot, multi segment, flash TTL,
 multi flash TTL)
 - mechanic vs. electronic shutter operation
 - operation (manual, aperture priority, shutter priority)
 - mirror lock up feature
 - flash synch speed with non dedicated units
 - top speed
 - any negative aspect (I know that one of the OM2s is quite bad at battery
 consumption, but don't know which of them and I don't know of any other bad
 aspect of any other model).
 - any third party lens compatibility consideration

    To build my lens setup I would like to know about something with
 excellent quality (speed is not an issue) on the following focals: 28 (or 24
 + 35, maybe), 50 (1.8 or 1.4?), 85 or 100, 200 and any teleconverter.

    What about dedicated flashes?

    Of course I realize that this would not necessarily be bought at the
 same time, specially in Argentina (where I live) where Olympus is not one of
 the most abundant used gear brands.

    Many thanks

                        Martin Trucco
   Proud Member of the Foto Club Argentino