[OM] New to the list

Subject: [OM] New to the list
From: TRUCCO Martin TENCO <TENMAT@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:53:53 +0300
Hi everyone!

        I am new to the list. I've been using Canon up to now (both FD and
EOS) and I am going to give Olympus / Zuiko a try.

        I don't have any Olympus body and, though I don't have any Zuiko
lens anymore I've done so in the past (and have used them via adapter on
Canon bodies).

        I would like a basic setup recommendation. I am considering the
following bodies: OM1, 1N, 2 (in any incarnation), and 4 (if there is any
affordable 3 around there it would be fine to know that, but the Ti is quite
expensive for me). I would like to know about:

- ruggedness
- metering patterns (average, spot, fine spot, multi segment, flash TTL,
multi flash TTL)
- mechanic vs. electronic shutter operation
- operation (manual, aperture priority, shutter priority)
- mirror lock up feature
- flash synch speed with non dedicated units
- top speed
- any negative aspect (I know that one of the OM2s is quite bad at battery
consumption, but don't know which of them and I don't know of any other bad
aspect of any other model).
- any third party lens compatibility consideration

        To build my lens setup I would like to know about something with
excellent quality (speed is not an issue) on the following focals: 28 (or 24
+ 35, maybe), 50 (1.8 or 1.4?), 85 or 100, 200 and any teleconverter.

        What about dedicated flashes?

        Of course I realize that this would not necessarily be bought at the
same time, specially in Argentina (where I live) where Olympus is not one of
the most abundant used gear brands.

        Many thanks

                       Martin Trucco
  Proud Member of the Foto Club Argentino