Re: [OM] model work- beginners queries / Long Response

Subject: Re: [OM] model work- beginners queries / Long Response
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:29:39 -0800
======Hi all, I am in desperate need of some advice. I have been asked to do
some modeling work for a friend (who has also *got* to be desperate
too!) and I have never tried portrait work. I would like to know if a
135 mm Zuik would be a good choice? Also as I do not have a studio etc,
I thought we would do the shots at outdoor locations, do I need any
special filters or reflectors for the lighting? What's the best time of
day? And last of all but not least, which films are recommended for
portrait work? Any advice would go a long way as I have never tried this
before and have only just started some reading.=====

Mark,

What kind of work does the model need?
Is this for a submission to an agency for consideration,
a composite or something else?
Many times a model will spend too much money time and effort
on photo's that are just not needed.
If this person never modeled before and is thinking of breaking
into the business, a few Polaroid's are all that is needed.
A good agency can tell if the person has the look just from that.
As for how to shoot for composites etc., The 135 is good for
tight head shots.  It is too long for other shots like head and
shoulder and 3/4 shots.
 Remember, you should be close enough to communicate with the subject
and you may be restricted as to space.
For head and shoulder I would use an 85 or 100mm and for 3/4 I would
use a 50mm or 70mm.
Keep the background as simple as possible (grey paper or sheet).
You can simulate a studio very easily.  Take the furniture out of the
dining room.  Hang the sheet or paper (white is OK) from a curtain rod
and use a flash bounced into a photo umbrella or off a white card (foam
core)
directly at the camera position and high above.
Add a piece of foam core under the camera for filling in the shadows in
the eyes.  If the subject is female this frontal lighting is what is
fashionable now.
For a male it will do for these type of shots.
There are many other ways to arrange lighting but you said "desperate".
You will find ideas in the books.  It is not hard to get pro results with
makeshift setups.
You will need proper exposure though.  That means TTL or a flash meter.
Don't bother with filters for now.  That takes some experimenting.
You may go too soft or too warm and besides, how much do you
want to spend on this favor.

Film:  Fuji or Kodak 100 or 200, people have their preference but either
will do.
If you want to use pro film (recommended) try the Portra film from Kodak.
Use a pro lab for this stuff and a Pro or consumer lab for the consumer
films.
It is a good idea to over expose for indoor flash portraits (1/3 to 1/2
stop).

On location:  An overcast day is best.  Use some fill flash by calculating
the guide number and distance.  Go easy with fill.  Just a little for a
catch light.
If it is not overcast then use the early morning or late afternoon light.
Watch the background!  And watch for squinting if the sun is behind you.
In any case try for around f 5.6 - f8 and focus on the eyes.

This should be a good first experience for you and the model.  Have Fun!

Charlie L.
Off list at CPL49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx