RE: [OM] wide angles

Subject: RE: [OM] wide angles
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:45:03 +0100
Hi Joseph,

> I don't swear by this lens.  contrast is too flat.

That might very well be the problem that's occurring with my lens too. So
far I couldn't be certain anymore whether the results I got were
attributable to lousy weather conditions, or to lack of contrast. But I
would not be surprised if indeed it's lack of contrast that causes it!

> If you want a supwerwide Zuiko for landscape work, the 21/3.5
> zuiko would be the best choice.

It might indeed be the way to go. I'm very satisfied with the 28/3.5 (apart
from the slow speed, which becomes an issue when using the lens indoors), so
using a 21mm as a complimentary lens (and ditching the 24mm) might not be a
bad idea. For now, I'll give the 24/2.8 some more tries to see if I can get
more satisfying results with it, and if not, then I'll consider getting a
21mm.

I've just looked at Gary's grades of anything between 18mm and 28mm, and I
can't really find any support there for our experiences, so maybe there are
indeed some differences between the various samples. One thing I did notice
though is that the 28/2 seems to get extremely high grades. If this lens
really is every bit as good as the test shows, then it will make sense to
look for one of those as a superior replacement for the 28/3.5.

Now, from previous discussion I seem to remember that the 21/3.5 performs
better than the 21/2. Here, Gary's tests slightly imply this to indeed be
the case (it's a pity that these two lenses were testes with different
bodies - the 4T vs. the 1, so a 1-on-1 comparison is a bit difficult).

Normally one would assume the F2 versions to outperform the F3.5 versions.
So, what's the list conscensus about the 28/2 vs. the 28/3.5, and about the
21/2 vs. the 21/3.5?

Cheers!
Olafo