[OM] Contrast

Subject: [OM] Contrast
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:07:00 -0500
The reason I always loved my Leica Summicrons (long gone, alas) was
their smoothness.  To my eye, their advantage in contrast was the subtle
gradations between shades of gray.  Maybe that's all contrast is; I've
been out of serious B&W photography for so long, I've probably forgotten
a lot.  Has anyone noticed the same thing?  Do Zuikos have it?  I know
they're contrasty and sharp, but when we speak of Zuiko contrast are we
speaking of what I just described about Leitz lenses?  I could answer
this question myself if my newly ordered OM-4 and 50, 1.8 had
arrived--and if I still had my darkrooom.  BTW, I've only been in this
group for a few days, and it seems to me we have a nice bunch of folks.
I've certainly gotten loads of practical and technical help when I've
asked other questions.
John Pendley