Re: [OM] ............. manual flash..........

Subject: Re: [OM] ............. manual flash..........
From: "Terry and Tracey" <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:40:12 +1100
What was the aperture? What were the surrounding colours? This flash is
rated at 32 meters (I think) with 100 ASA film. You were 2 stops more, so it
is 64 meters. If the walls were white, they would reflect light, effectively
increasing the guide number. So, with neutral walls an f stop wider than 2
will over expose. An f stop wider than 4 with white walls will over expose.

When do you use manual? Often. Someone is at the reception. There is vast
nothing behind them. You are on TTL auto. The subject is 2 meters away. The
camera exposes for the background (there is more of it), and the subject is
very over exposed. You go to manual. Set the camera to f 16 and perfect shot
(100 ASA). But at this range you probably want less depth of field. So set
to 1/4 power if it has one and the guide number is now 16. Use f4. Perfect
picture.

Try manual often.

Foxy