Re: [OM] Considering switch to Oly

Subject: Re: [OM] Considering switch to Oly
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:06:08 +0000
>Thanks for the tip, Doris; I didn't know anything about these new lenses.
>Actually, there are two main reasons I am considering Olympus.  One is how
>small and light they are; the main one is the reputation for optical
>quality.

John, picking a camera system is a very personal choice, like picking
underwear or something....but having said that, the only real way you'll
find out if OM is right for you is to pick one up and examine it at a store
or something. (I don't remember if you've already done this or not)

Risking a flame war, let me make a few points. First, Oly gear is harder to
find new or used than Nikon or Canon, and sometimes costs more too. Second,
Olympus bodies are not significantly lighter than a corresponding Nikon
(FM2N - 540g, F3 - 745g(not a fair comparason, since the F3 has
interchangeable viewfinders), OM3T - 510g, OM4T - 510g), just smaller and
more ergonomic. Finally, many of us have complained ad nauseum about the
lack of support from Olympus America for the OM line, leading many of us to
fear that the OM line will be discontinued soon.

But, in spite of all of this, I love my Olympus cameras and wouldn't trade
them for any other brand in the world.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright