RE: Hammer RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique

Subject: RE: Hammer RE: [OM] OM Photos for your critique
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 15:00:43 -0600
On Wednesday, January 19, 2000 10:19 AM, Barry B. Bean
[SMTP:bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:24:46 -0600, Dave Bulger wrote:
>
> >Whether I manipulate camera, film,
> >subject, lighting, processing, printing, Photoshop, hitting the negs
with a
> >hammer, etc., is strictly my choice and within my area of
responsibility.

> Could you explain your hammer technique? I've been trying a 7 lb
> maul, but perhaps a more subtle operation is in order.

Barry,

I've gotten my best results with a small rock hammer, striking at a 37.5
degree angle on the base side of the neg in and around the background
images.  This distorts the film base & emulsion and gives you greater depth
of field that is normally possible.  Note that you'll have to hit the
emulsion side if it's a transparency because everything's backwards.  On
trannies you might want to decrease your angle of attack to ensure that the
hammer goes through all three layers of emulsion.

I'd suggest tailoring your hammer selection to the format of the neg or
tranny you're working with.  I don't generally use the 7 pounder on formats
less than 4x5 unless I'm attempting to fool the viewer into thinking I shot
it with a pinhole camera and really need the extra DOF that such a heavy
hammer produces.

Damn!  Should have started an expensive workshop to convey that secret...
<G>

Dave