Re: [OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Cameras & Card Readers
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 07:19:18 -0800
On 19 Jan 00, at 2:05, Phillip Franklin wrote:

> Shawn,
>
> I realized that NT does not support USB and serial is just too slow.  So
> for about $200 you can get a SCSI card reader.  The SCSI readers are
> very fast!  Much faster than a a USB. I would have got one of those but
> I've just got too many SCSI devices hanging here.  An assosiate has a
> Fire Wire card on his new Mac and it works very fast too.  It seems the
> card readers are taking over though.  Now there is a brand new digital
> lab opening her in Del Mar, CA, which has a card reader on it's print
> processor.  So I can get regular photo prints (4x6 inch for 30 cents
> each) off the Camedia 2500.  I would say that card readers rule.  They
> really are the digital film of the future. Cabling the camera to the
> computer  sucks.  It's slow and inconvient. Believe me you will not want
> a digital camera that does not write to memory cards.  These memory
> cards are used in many other type of devices so the card reader is a
> must have.  I'm sure they will be standard on most computers in the next
> year or two.  They really will make life easy for digital photograhers.
> File formats are standard so cross platform is no problem.  I won't be
> suprised to see capacities exceed 256mb in the next couple of years. It
> seems that 64mb is now not too uncommon and I've heard that a 128mb card
> exists. Try loading 128mb over a serial cable.  Well I'm obviously
> really happy with the card readers and I have not heard  of too many
> problems from users.  So I think the card readers are the best thing to
> come along in the last several years.

Thanks for this info - I started looking at these yesterday and they seem to
be a good idea for the price. I also started looking seriously at the C-2500,
after getting concerned about the life span of SmartMedia cards used in the
C-2000/2020. What are you impressions of this camera? Is it worth the extra
money over the C-2000? Is it still easy enough for a P&S user to operate?
(the primary user (not me! :-( ) has little photo experience beyond P&S).
The other reason I'm looking at the C-2500 is for publication work - ie: shots
which we would either have shot in house or professionally on slide film, then
scanned for four colour printing on school literature. It seems that the C-2500
should be capable of handling most of these tasks quite well (or not?)

Any thoughts?
Shawn & Janis Wright
swright@xxxxxxxxx
http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright