Re: [OM] Re:OT Polarizers (was Linear polarizer & OTF)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re:OT Polarizers (was Linear polarizer & OTF)
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:58:54 -0500
I noticed some years ago that if a pair of polarized sunglasses and a
linear polarized filter were turned the right way, the light got very
dark and everything had a "black light" effect or glow to it.  Haven't
tried this with a circular polarizer.  Does a polarizer not affect the
ultraviolet wavelengths?

I recently borrowed a video Series from the library called Creative
Outdoor Photography w/ Frans Lanting and Galen Rowell.  In it is
demonstrated a theory of color photography proposed by Edward Land in
1959 called the Retinex Theory of Color Vision.

He photographed the same shot with b&w film using two different filters
(I don't know which) then printed each resulting negative onto one sheet
of color paper (using a red filter with one of the negatives.  (Again, I
don't know which neg.)  The result was a full spectrum photo.

The point, in the video, was that our eye sees differently than film
*sees* light.  This should certainly be considered when viewing through
a viewfinder while using a polarizing filter.  I'm just not sure of how
much and which way!

Gregg

HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

(snip)