[OM] The Retro Revolution

Subject: [OM] The Retro Revolution
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 00:58:02 EST
     Following on the heals of the audio world (single ended tube designs
from the 40s, horn loud speakers, multi-amping and so forth), the past few
years has seen the photography world following suit. First there was a
resurgence of interests in medium format--major expansions of most lines with
new lenses and new bodies and the introduction of autofocus MF systems. One
of these, the new Pentax 645N is interesting in that it goes both forward
(autofocus and spot metering) and backward (the old style shutter speed knob
is used rather than LCD screen/push buttons, among other things)--so much so
that it's even easier to use than the older non-AF predecessor.

     Then there's the 35mm world and a tremendous resurgence of rangefinder
over and above Leica--Ricoh with it's Leica mount 28F2.8 (same as GR1), the
Bessa Voightlander Leica screw mount bodies and lenses (including a highly
raved about 15mm aspheric), and now Konica has just introduced a new Leica
bayonet mount camera and three (28, 50, 90 initially) new Leica mount lenses
to go along with it. Even Leica joined in with the introduction of
"screw-mount" versions of some of their best lenses!!! Oh, I forgot to
mention the Fuji/Hasselblad XPAN camera--a panoramic 35mm rangefinder (24mm
by 70mm) with 30mm, 45F4.0 and 90F4.0 lenses. And there are rumors of others
possibly offering new RF stuff as well. All of this in the face of the
rapidly improving digital onslaught.

     The point is of course, is that Olympus is uniquely positioned to rejoin
to the fray. The above activity wouldn't be taking place if these companies
didn't expect to make a profit. Sales of the initial Bessa stuff exceeded all
expectations. Since the OMs are the closest SLR to a rangefinder (not just my
opinion, but also the LUG), there some obvious opportunity here. With the
possible exception of an 85F1.4 (which they almost introduced) the OM line
from 100 down is virtually perfect--world class optics, only compact optics
in the 180-400 could use revamping with LD glass and internal focusing (I
know they have some SOA lenses here, but not ones you can easily carry
around). My personal wish list is very simple--as follows:

       *     Reintroduce an improved "40" F2.0 (I know the original is highly
                                                                   regarded,
still consider the
                                                                   Pentax
43F1.9 chrome AF lens)

       *     A compact 180F2.8 APO lens+tuned 2X extender.

       *     An upgraded  APO version of the 65-200F4.0 with focus to 3 feet.

       *     Reintroduce the original OM1

       *     And lastly, a Contax Aria type body with an OM mount.

    Anyway, I sincerely hope Olympus "wakes up" and does . . . something.

Happy New Millennium folks.

Alex