[OM]OM-3 value Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1351

Subject: [OM]OM-3 value Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1351
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:30:37 -0800
I have both an OM-3 and an OM-4 and actually a 2s and OM1.  Got the 4
new several years ago when they were affordable.  The 3 I picked used in
about a 9- condition for $150.00 in about 1992. Just to finish the
prices here I got the 2s in a 9 conditon in '93 for $125 and the OM1 was
in in a 9+ condition and I paid $50.00 for it in about 1990 to replace
my original OM1 from 1974 which I gave to a girl friend in some kind
weird love ritual. Well you can see that the prices of used Oly gear was
pretty reasonable. It was never considered collectable or anything but
used gear.  In the late '80's new Oly bodies were still fairly
reasonable in price and only poor guys like me ever considered buying
them used.

Now to answer the question of why have the price of OM-3's risen over
the last 7 or so years. That's a real tough one but I bet it has
something to with the fact that all new camera gear started to get
expensive (esp. Oly) and I think there were those that saw a full on
mechanical body with multi-spot metering as a real relic of bygone
quality days of the mid 1980's. Why were there so few in the first
place? According to all of the old time Oly dealers I've talked to they
did not sell well at all in the mid 1980's; many dealers had to sell
them at below cost just to get rid of them.  The only people who liked
them were pro photo journalists who needed a very rugged, light weight
and dependable body with some great lens availabilty. So many of those
few were trashed. (as a general rule never buy used gear from a pro
photo journalist ... the only reason they sell it is that it is usually
trashed) So when they seemed to be a relic people took a new interest in
them. But I liked them from the get go because of the feel and the sound
of the shutter.  I grew to like them even more when I discovered that
they were much more rugged and dependable than say my OM-4 or 2s. It
really is a great modern mechanical design. I think it is Oly's shinning
acheivement in tradition/modern camera design. They really feel great to
use. They really have the best feel of all of the Oly bodies I've ever
owned. Basically they are just cool. What else can I say.  Only that in
1985 I saw them for $325 brand new at 3D Photo in Encinitas, CA.

So why did Oly re-issue the classic in a titanium clad body with ttl.
'Cause they knew there were more than a few suckers who would pay $1500
for one. They probably used many of the parts from those that the
dealers did not purchase in the 1980's. I'm sure it was greedy Oly
America who saw an easy buck and pounced on the market. Regardless they
are cool. So are the Nikon F3's if you don't mind building some good arm
muscle.

Phillip Franklin