Re: [OM] Presidential Lies - IF YOU DON't CARE, don't read.

Subject: Re: [OM] Presidential Lies - IF YOU DON't CARE, don't read.
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 07:07:39 -0500
Hey George. I hope we can keep this nice now...

At 01:21 AM 1/14/00 -0800, you wrote:
Wasn't even his plan. It was Hillary's.  You'll soon have another chance
to vote for a Clinton, Denton.  Have you learned your lesson *yet* ?

I don't much care for Hillary (politically) but like Ghouliani even less.

>>BTW, she came out against gay marriage the other day. Another slap at
one of their core supporting groups. >>

You're right, she also panders. But since she is now against gay marriage will you vote for her? :-)

>>Hey, speakin of which, how about
the release of the Puerto Rican terrorists? Did you support that?
Perhaps you didn't know any of the cops who were killed or maimed by
these gentle nationalists. But, hey, there's a large Puerto Rican vote
in NY, isn't there?>>

Not really a big issue with me, but they were not convicted of murder and so had served longer terms than anyone convicted of similar crimes. But yeah, more pandering. No argument.

>>It's bible time, eh? Where do you get these statistics, BTW? How many
women are unfaithful? >>

Women are rising every year to around 40urrently. Shere Hite and others are the source.

>>It was relevant for Clarence Thomas though, huh? Where oh where ARE the
womens' libbers this time around?

Yeah, they've twisted themselves into conniptions, lol

>>That's because he has virtually no effect on the economy. I challenge
you to present any evidence to the contrary. The ONLY thing he's done is
leave Greenspan in office, which was a no-brainer. BTW, any idea who
first appointed Greenspan???? I'll give you a hint - it wasn't Jimmy
Carter, George Bush or the Pervert-in-chief.

And who nominated Paul Volker? Jimmy Carter. And who left him in in spite of 20 0nterest rates? Reagan. Robert Rubin gets far more credit than most people realize, including obviously yourself, for creating this environment. Clinton ran on a platform to reduce the budget, appointed the man who could deliver the goods (Rubin), and Wall Street believed in the plan which started to drive long-term interest rates down. Wall Street didn't believe you can lower the budget deficit, increase spending, and cut taxes. Voodoo economics, especially down there. When spending cuts were presented along with tax increases under Clinton, it was a no-brainer, and it worked.

>>Do you not understand that Reagan's policy set in motion the wheels that
are spinning so well today? In fact, his tax cuts have surely put
thousands, maybe tens of thousands of dollars in YOUR pocket over the
last 12 or 13 years, helping you buy into your Contax system and stoke
the economy. Would you rather have let the Democrats spend those
$$$thousands? Do you remember what the economy was like when Reagan
took over? Do you recall 20% mortgage interest rates? >>

I recall 20 0nterest rates very well. They were caused by Volker's raising rates to wring OPEC-induced inflation out of the economy, a path that Greenspan or any other Chairman of the Fed may be forced to take again some day. When inflation started to fall, so did interest rates, but they did so because Volker applied classic economics to the situation. I also recall 120nemployment under Reagan, which qualified as depression, but I don't _blame_ him for it. Part of the same deal. I also remember the Reagan prosperity as false, based on borrowed money, tax-cut stimulus, and deficit spending. Anyone with participation in either the real economy or the equities markets has done MUCH better under Clinton than Reagan, and our boy Greenspan agrees...

I call your attention to the following from Alan Greenspan's speech last night:

"However one views the causes of our low inflation and strong growth, there can be little argument that the American economy as it stands at the beginning of a new century has never exhibited so remarkable a
prosperity for at least the majority of Americans."

That's NEVER, George. Not Reagan, Bush, Coolidge, or whoever. Clinton deserves some of the credit, period. BTW the LAST balanced budget existed under Democrats also, didn't it?

>>Do you recall an
entity called the Soviet Union? The Cold War? The Berlin Wall? Do you
realize that Reagan was president during a time when HUGE military
budgets were an absolute necessity? And that deficit spending was
brought about by the military portion of the budget **combined with the
excess spending of the Democratic-controlled congress**?>>

I'm glad you agree that Reagan spent more money than we had income. Don't try that at home. If the American people supported increased military spending, they should have supported a tax increase to fund it, not whine about tax cuts. No doubt Reagan did have a hand in the fall of the SU, but it would have happened eventually. And doesn't Gorbachev deserve some of the credit?

>>I'm real curious to know if you'll support Hillary over the mayor who's
finally turned that rat-hole of a city around to where it may soon be
fit for human habitation.

You're really showing your true colors now George. Why this type of language? I don't know where you live, but I sure wouldn't trade the greatest city in the world for it. And I can afford to live just about wherever I damned well choose. I'm glad you consider it _almost_ fit for habitation but when modest 2br apartments sell for $600,000 I'd have to believe that I'm not the only one who wants to live here. Or don't you believe in the laws of supply and demand? Guiliani deserves a certain amount of credit but the majority is due to factors beyond his control. Crime, for example, has fallen just about everywhere, not only here. He is an out-of-control mean-spirited jerk who changes his target almost weekly. One week it's cab drivers, the next it's hot dog vendors. Always some powerless immigrant non-voting group. He doesn't have the balls to take on New York's remaining larger problems, like rent control, lack of housing, or the teacher's unions. Maybe you'd like to see Guiliani with his finger on the nuclear trigger but I'd like to keep him right here where he can't do but so much damage. So the answer is I don't know who I'll support, probably neither.

Anyway, for those of you in far-away places, such is politics in the USA. A diverse set of beliefs, for sure.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at