[OM] Film windage woes

Subject: [OM] Film windage woes
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 10:21:44 -0600
I got back a roll of B&W film in which I had one frame containing about 15
shots.  Seems that I never noticed that the leader came out of the wind
spindle and I had accidently pressed the film rewind button at one point.
By never noticing that the film rewind knob wasn't turning I ruined
pictures from both my Oregon trip and a trip to Mississippi.  So much for
the mach wave pictures.

Lesson learned.

Oh, but I'm still trying to figure out why my camera refused to stop
winding on a single frame earlier in the roll.  In extremely cold
conditions it would skip frames. Must be the grease inside causing the cogs
to not slide in place properly.  Oh, well, I wasn't working too well that
evening either.

On a side note regarding the HP-5 and my late evening shots of the
dilapidated farmhouse.  I put the OM-2S in auto and with the exception of
one shot (which hit the 2-minute terminator) every single one was exposed
properly or even slightly over exposed (well I did have the exposure
compensation set at +1/3).  No recip failure here.  I've got a beautiful
set of negs to work with.  Compared to the roll of TRI-X I had finished on
the same site, I actually prefer the HP-5 over TRI-X!  Of course, I haven't
looked too closely yet and the proof will be in the printing.  Come to
think of it, I was concerned enough with shadow detail that I did want them
slightly over exposed anyway!  Hah!  gotta love OTF and Olympus' long
exposure times.

Ken Norton