[OM] comparing lenses

Subject: [OM] comparing lenses
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 03:25:28 -0800 (PST)
========================
I recently picked up a Tokina SMZ 80-200 3.5-4.5.  This lens is an
[snip]
It appears to be quite sharp and contrasty, and produces *better* photos
than my Tokina ATX 35-70 2.8 ,which has low contrast it seems (compared
from 4 X 6 prints).  Does anyone have experience with these lenses?

No, but comparing prints from negatives won't tell you very much about lens
color and contrast, as the print exposure, enlarging lens quality, contrast
grade of the paper, print development time, temperature, and chemistry
are all variables that will affect contrast of the print, and that's
still assuming you are taking the same image in the same light with the
same film (if not, there's even more variables).  f-stop setting of a lens
affects contrast as well.

Joseph