Re: [OM] RE: National Geographic, January 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: National Geographic, January 2000
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 21:40:44 -0500
Lenses used for underwater cameras are often wide-angle.  It is also
possible that the darkening is from the housing the camera was in,
although I would assume the camera was waterproof and didn't need a
housing - say a nikonos or similiar body.

Water and air have different refractive indexes so it is possible the
boat and stingray would be in focus without a special filter, but there
appears to be a fuzzy line through the middle of the photo.  It's also
possibly a sheet of water on the bottom part of the lens that is out of
the water that makes the boat out of focus, as it would be very hard to
keep the camera at water level in the waves.