Re: [OM] rangefinders

Subject: Re: [OM] rangefinders
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2000 17:29:08 -0800
Ken N. writes:

<< The vignetting [in the XA] could be a little disconcerting, but at
F8/F11 (where I typically shoot) is it apparent? >>

I tested that lens and the results are posted at:
http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

Vignetting (i.e., light fall-off) of B is noticable, but acceptable.  C
is objectionable and D in unacceptable.  The XA had some real variable
results:
Vignetting = C- @ f/2.8, B- @ f/5.6, C+ @ f/11, C @
f/22

Extrapolate for intermediate results.

I sold mine as soon as I saw the results of the lens test and some party
shots.  So much for it being on my long term want list.  We head from
John H. that a fair number of these ended up in Olympus service because
folks thought something was wrong with the lens.

Vision Age magazine did an article on the development of the XA. If one
reads between the lines, it becomes apparent that the lens design was
rushed to market.  They just didn't have enough time to perfect it.  It
was a Maitani camera design that assumed a lens could be developed to
fit.  That assumption proved to be an obstacle.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV