[OM] John Shaw Tapes and Tripods

Subject: [OM] John Shaw Tapes and Tripods
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 12:06:39 -0800
-----Original Message-----
Chuck Wrote:
Well Buddy, don't leave us hangin'.  Tell us what they are and how you
use them.
Also, I have a John Shaw book but I've never heard of John Shaw's
tapes.  Recommendations and where to get them?
Chuck Norcutt

Snip!

Hi Chuck & all,
Yes, John Shaw has several tapes out, 6 or 7?  Some are great and a couple
will put you (me) to sleep.  I really like the "Close up" ones (2), the
"Field techniques" and the one on Exposure.  The two on composition are tuff
for me to sit through.  You can buy them for $29.00 usd or just rent them as
I did from most large camera stores.
I must say that these tapes have made many areas in photography much clearer
in my mind.  I guess most of it comes from John's practical "How & Why"
approach.  For example, he doesn't just tell you which tripod he uses but,
in the tapes, shows you WHY he made his decision.  He was a school teacher
before he went pro and I think his background and teaching ability sets him
above the rest.

Tripods:
My first pod was a little Gitzo #126? I bought back in 1980 or so.  Nice
little light weight (4 leg extension) version that will extend (without
center post) almost up to eye level.  I only use it now for backpacking,
light travel etc.  It is just to light for serious work.

About 5 or 6 years ago I bought a Gitzo #313?  This one was discontinued so
I got it pretty cheap.  It is a short, 3 leg version of the current #326.
But it only comes up to your chest.  I still like it for close up work.

I have to blame John Shaw's "Field Techniques" tapes for not being satisfied
with what I had.  John shows the benefits of having a pod that will extend
up to eye level without using the center post and why.

I followed John's advise and ended up with a Gitzo #1320 (#320 was
discontinued in 1999)for all around use and a 410 for the big telephotos.  I
have a Pan & Tilt head on the 1320 and a Giant Arca Swiss on the 410.  I
added a Kirk "4th Leg" to both the 1320 and 410.  For lenses that have
collars, this accessory will add considerable steadiness to the setup.

I also found a used Kirk Window pod I put the Ball head on.  I use this a
great deal out of my Explorer window for wildlife with the big teles.

It has taken me over 5 years to complete my Pod system, but I can honestly
say I am very satisfied with what I ended up with.

Hope this answered your ?'s
Buddy Walters