Re: [OM] Off-brand zooms for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Off-brand zooms for OM
From: j.leonarddesigner@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 23:23:12 -0500 (EST)
>On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Robert E. Woodburn wrote:
>
>|Hi OM'ers -
>|
>|Have any of you had any experience with the Zeiss 28-80 f4 zoom for OM?
>|If so, how would you evaluate it?
>|
>|I saw one recently on an auction site (no sale - reserve not met).

>I've never heard of Zeiss lenses made for Olympus.  Could this be an
>original Zeiss for Contax/Yashica which was modified for the Olympus
>OM mount?

Hi,
Last November, I was offered a Zeiss 75-300 f.4 for Olympus ($175.Can BTW).
I had the same questioning. A fellow OM-user gave me the following answer:

This question came up before (on another list I think).  The answer was
that these lenses are *not* Carl Zeiss, GmbH (of Stuttgart and of the Zeiss
Foundation).  These lenses were made by a Japanese company *for* Carl Zeiss
Jena, VEB (of Jena in East Germany).  CZJ prostituted its good name in
hopes of getting more western sales where it was allowed to use the name
"Zeiss" without running afoul of trademark laws.

If it is marked with "Zeiss," it could not have been sold in the U.S. (CZJ
had been forbidden to use "Zeiss" in the U.S. by then) but was probably
originally sold in one of several European countries.  I'll bet if you
inquire with the owner, it will be marked "Carl Zeiss Jena" or something
with "Jena" in it.

The reputation on these lenses is they are not bad, but average as third
party 3x and 4x zooms go.  Make no mistake, though.  They are not real,
true Carl Zeiss *or* Carl Zeiss Jena lenses and are not deserving of the
legendary "Zeiss" reputation.  They are *not* any of the legendary Zeiss
lens designs.

I hope this answer will help you,

Jacques Leonard
j.leonarddesigner@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Please visit my web site at:   www.jlda-design.com

PS: I forgot to give you the name of the  OM-user who gave me this answer
it's John A. Lind
    so thanks for a second time John!