[OM] Future ES-10 support (WAS Randomness prevails)

Subject: [OM] Future ES-10 support (WAS Randomness prevails)
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 17:26:14 -0600
--- Begin Message ---
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 09:20:00 -0600
Happy New Year to all.

As seen in any consumer products, the corporates' profit and loss (P&L)  prevail

with supply and demand.

I am also a 'die-hard' OM user.  What I can suggest that all of us (not only
from
the USA) send emails inquiring the future new OM prodcut introduction and
support.  The email address of the Olympus' Public Relations is:
pr_dept@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If all of us at least in this Mailing List keep inquiring Olympus Japan, I am
sure
they will get the message.  I advise you to be not direct when inquiring.  For
example, ask about whether the model ES-10 scanner being supported for
the more up-to-date windows;eg,Win98 or 2000 instead of Win95 and
SCSI driver, etc.  If you get negative answer, then ask what can we (sonsumers)
do with the operating software upgrades.

There is another Olympus' Japan sales website (all in Japanese) for the optical
camera.  Its url is: http://www.olympus-sales.co.jp/camera/index.html .
However, I cannot locate any emai address for inquiry.

Jim Terazawa

Dave Bulger wrote:

> Here's an interesting event that I remembered while reading Ken's post
> below.
>
> I wrote Olympus America about three weeks ago via their customer support
> page on their website regarding their lack of support re the ES-10 scanner.
>  No software or drivers on the American web site, the fact that I had
> verified that the drivers would not work under Win 2K and had heard nothing
> from them re releasing 2K drivers, etc.
>
> No response.
>
> A bit frightening.  Any ideas on how to get a response or who I need to
> talk to?
>
> Dave
>
> On Wednesday, January 05, 2000 1:24 AM, Ken Norton [SMTP:image66@xxxxxxx]
> wrote:
> > The biggest weakness in Olympus sales and marketing is Olympus America.
> > This is the corporate entity that is woefully out of touch with reality.
> > Since the mid-80's they completely abandoned the OM line, even though
> > Olympus Japan continued to develop new products.  I had worked photo
> retail
> > for several years and was appalled at their total lack of interest in
> their
> > own products.  It was as though they conceded the entire market to Canon.
> > They were unresponsive and could care less about supporting the dealers.
> > They were enamured with the department stores and pushed the P&S line
> there
> > and ignored the camera stores that sold "systems."

--- End Message ---