Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:16:40 -0500
Brian P. Huber <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Allan,
> You can certainly use a Zuiko, but there are some good 3rd party lenses
out
> there, as you know with the Vivitar.
> If, repeat, if, you can get hold of one, an excellent choice would be a
> Tokina ATX 80-200mm f2.8, but it won't be cheap!

I second this recommendation heartily.  The Tok 80-200 f/2.8 is a fine lens,
quick one-touch design, very bright viewfinder image that's easy to focus
quickly and heavy.  Worth all effort to find and every penny of price.

> My strongest advice is get the fastest lens you can afford because of
> focusing ease as well as increasing shutter speed to keep subjects sharp.
> You don't always want a perfectly exposed blur.

Lens speed can not be emphasized enough for sports applications.  Film speed
helps, but at the expense of grain size and softer contrast.  IMHO, anything
less than f/4 is useless; f/2.8 is extremely helpful, almost a necessity.