RE: [OM] Lens recommendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens recommendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:17:44 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:06, "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Allan wrote:

>> I am looking for advice as to what lens would be appropriate for a
>> soccer mom asking for a telephoto lens suitable for action photos at
>> recreational soccer games.  She is currently using an OM-1 body with a
>> Vivitar 28-85mm zoom lens.  She wants to take colour photos that appear
>> close-up without requiring a print enlargement. She gets good results
>> with the 28-85mm, but only when the action is nearby.
>>

>I have done a little photography of soccer, I find my Vivitar 75-205 to be
>around the right length when standing at the edge of the field (I assume you
>don't want to shoot from high up in a stand).  You might find something
>around 300mm necessary for action at the opposite end of the field, however
>anything of this length is likely to be unwieldy to focus while following
>the action.  As to specific recommendations as to lens manufacturer, I'm not
>sure, my Vivitar is OK and Olympus make some Zuikos in that range.

My experience also matched Wayne's.  I found the 200 range to be not
long enough for anything that is not right in front of me.  If I am
standing at the sideline of the center of the field and I wanted to
capture anything happening at the other side or anything near any of
the goals, 200 is not enough.  You'll need at least a 300 for those
shots, but then it will be very difficult to hand-hold the camera.
So it all depends on how much of a "soccer mom" your friend is.
        -Dan