RE: [OM] Lens recommendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: RE: [OM] Lens recommendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: "Harridge, Wayne" <Wayne.Harridge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:06:40 +0800
Allan wrote:

> I am looking for advice as to what lens would be appropriate for a
> soccer mom asking for a telephoto lens suitable for action photos at
> recreational soccer games.  She is currently using an OM-1 body with a
> Vivitar 28-85mm zoom lens.  She wants to take colour photos that appear
> close-up without requiring a print enlargement. She gets good results
> with the 28-85mm, but only when the action is nearby.

I have done a little photography of soccer, I find my Vivitar 75-205 to be
around the right length when standing at the edge of the field (I assume you
don't want to shoot from high up in a stand).  You might find something
around 300mm necessary for action at the opposite end of the field, however
anything of this length is likely to be unwieldy to focus while following
the action.  As to specific recommendations as to lens manufacturer, I'm not
sure, my Vivitar is OK and Olympus make some Zuikos in that range.

> First thought is a non-zuiko zoom lens in the 60-200 mm range.  Second
> thought would be something in the 100-200 mm range since the
> majority of
> the action is never nearby. I think the lens should have a
> tripod mounting.

A tripod mount might be useful for other stuff, but probably unnecessary for
soccer, the action being too fast for tripod use and even for a monopod.

> I would appreciate any advice or information.  I've noticed a huge
> difference in lens cost but don't know the reason for the difference.
> The local camera dealers are of no help -- they all want you to buy an
> entirely new system.

Well, you've come to the right place now !

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/6152/