Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens recomendation for soccer mom with OM-1 body
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 08:37:07 -0600
At 09:41 PM 1/3/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>I am looking for advice as to what lens would be appropriate for a
>soccer mom asking for a telephoto lens suitable for action photos at
>recreational soccer games.  She is currently using an OM-1 body with a
>Vivitar 28-85mm zoom lens.  She wants to take color photos that appear
>close-up without requiring a print enlargement. She gets good results
>with the 28-85mm, but only when the action is nearby.
>
>First thought is a non-zuiko zoom lens in the 60-200 mm range.  Second
>thought would be something in the 100-200 mm range since the majority of
>the action is never nearby. I think the lens should have a tripod mounting.

I've had apparent success with a 135/3.5 Zuiko and 200/f4 Zuiko.  I find
that my 35-105 is a little short most of the time, for the same reasons I
would guess as your wife.  The 200/f4 works very well actually, and I've
used it with and without a monopod.

I don't think you need a tripod mount.  She'd appreciate a winder more.

I would think the Zuiko 65-200 telephoto would be ideal, it being a
one-touch design.  I have not used this lens, but I understand it to be a
little better than the Zuiko 100-200 (also a useful range).  If I did not
already cover this range differently, the 65-200 is the one I'd be looking
for for the purpose you mention.

An off-brand I could recommend is the Tokina RZX 60-300/f4. It's a
one-touch design, *very* light, as sharp as the 200/f4, and pretty
reasonable in the $100-150 range, if you can find one.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA