Re: [OM] Re: Shutter speed ring (was How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film f

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Shutter speed ring (was How To Buy A OM2000 & Lens & Film for $180.49)
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:58:44 -0700
Hi Ulf,

On Mon, 03 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Hi Thomas and others,
>
> you wrote:
>
> >When I bought my first OM-camera many many many years
> >ago, a key criteria for selecting OM over e.g. N*k*n was just that the
> >shutter
> >speed control was located in a sane spot......
>
> Very handy for handheld action-shots and small (Zuiko?) lenses, yes, not so
> handy for tripod based photography, particularly with big(ger) lenses. Try the
> 300/4.5 on a Manfrotto/Bogen hexaplate ball head and a Winder equipped
> OM-something and you'll see what I mean...

I have to admitt that you may be right (hard to admitt that something is not
perfect with my OM). I never used a tripod much, and the longest lenses I have
amount to a (VERY) rarely used 400mm. So it's never occoured to me much as a
problem.

> And with big(ger) lenses handheld where a steady grip with the left hand
> under the lens is essential, you're bound to end up with holding the complete
> combo with your right hand in the camera/winder while busy adjusting shutter
> speeds with your left. When using a 2,5 kilogram lens like my Tamron 400/4,
> I've had to develop a technique where I'm adjusting the speeds while still
> holding up much of the lens' weight through the very same hand, this so the
> camera don't have to take all the weight. And this slows down action when you
> need it the most.

Uhh, sounds....ehh...sounds like a "spectacular" technique :)

> Actually, I think this is one major reason why OM's never were or are very
> successfull among wildlife photographers.
>
> Oh well, there is no perfect system for everything. There are many other
> benefits of the OM-system, but I don't think big lens photography is among
> them.

Hmm....now you've got me thinking on what WOULD be the "perfect system for
everything" - control-wise......Anyone else with an opinion on this? Anyways,
thanks for enlightening me on this issue - it was/is interresting :)

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)