Re: [OM] Re: the 'Sharpest'

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: the 'Sharpest'
From: "Glenn Garza" <glenngarza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 09:19:59 -0500
If we look at the results of published and widely respected photographers as
well as the requirements of the publishers themselves, then it is obvious to
me that technique and sharpness are quite important. Sharpness to me is very
easy to define. When testing lenses to take the types of photos I will take,
if all the detail, edges and textures are well defined and easy to look at
through at least an 8X loupe, then that lens is sharp. That should be
obvious on any decent film. Then there are other factors such as color
rendition, contrast, and distortion which are more arbitrary or arguable.
These would be more a matter of taste, use, interpretation or client need.
They can vary; sharpness does not. Because a lens is good enough for a
little tiny reproduction in a book or print does not make it sharp; just
good enough for that purpose. It is on this basis I can state that my Zuiko
50mm/1.8 is sharp, my Vivitar 70-200/3.8 to whatever zoom is not. It is
therefore easy to say that needing anything more than what the little Zuiko
can produce [as far as ultimate sharpness is concerned] is a limitation of
the current 35mm format.

Technique is important as the knowledge of the methods needed in getting the
desired result. The look, lighting, effects, and sharpness desired all
require a certain technique to obtain controllable, repeatable results.

I do agree that a person should concern themselves with the artistic side of
photography first. Perhaps a good order would be the eye, the vision, the
art or composition, then the technical aspects. This too is probably open to
debate. Let me wish everyone peace, happiness, and the success desired in
this new century.
W/R,
Glenn Garza