Re: [OM] T Power Control/T10

Subject: Re: [OM] T Power Control/T10
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 07:33:39 EST
Cc: rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/28/99 5:18:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Tim,
   I don't think that you should make the assumption that the output of
 an AC power supply to the TPower Control Unit is what it feeds to the
 flash tubes.  I believe that you would be several multiples off on the
 voltage.  I would think that the voltage to the flash tubes would be in
 the vicinity of 1 or 2 thousand volts.
 Rand E. >>

Rand,
         the bounce grip puts out dc (~330V) to the flash capacitor in the
T32 via an isolation
 diode. So since the same 3 pin plug is used to connect the bounce grip to
Tpower control my
assumption was that the T10 most probably uses 330V.
    The third party Quantum Turbo high speed pack for OM (and for all other
common small flashes)
only puts out 330V to the 3 pin connector. (based on correspondence with
Quantum).
    The only other common tube voltage I have ever seen (mainly in higher
power flashes) is
500-550V. But I have owned two different ring flashes that run off ~500V.
(one a Sunpak and the
 other Metz, the current Sunpaks including ringflash run 330V. )
    High power flash tubes that run off 1-2kV exsist for laser pumping etc.
but photoflash grade capacitors
are only available in 300-350V and 500-550V ratings according to vendor
catalogs.
The trigger voltages for most photo flash tubes run to about 5kV but this is
generated with
a pulse transformer at trigger time.
    Very high current density /voltage tends to produce too high a color
temperature for
photographic use. (see for example
http://www.perkinelmer.com/Opto-111/1300tb1.htm).
Based on this your assumption of 1kV+ seems unlikely. For people interested
in high power
 (mainly non photo) flash tube designs, see the EG&G catalog at the above
url.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx