Re: [OM] Trip to Grand Canyon

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip to Grand Canyon
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 20:32:25 -0700

> For those members of the list who have been to or live near the Grand
> Canyon, I'd like your recommendations on where to fly into the area

My first trip to the area started with flying into Salt Lake City.  It is a
big airport and is fairly central to the  areas you describe.  Flying into
Page, AZ or Flagstaff, AZ would be great, but I don't think any of the major
airlines fly there.  Consider a night in the bottom of the Grand Canyon if
you go in the spring(forget it in the summer--way hot!!!).  If you do want
to try and go the  bottom, you will need to make camping reservations well
in advance.  The chances of getting a cabin down there or riding a mule are
slim without reservations months or a year in advance.  Bryce and Zion have
lots of accommodations near their entrances, but plan and reserve early for
the summer.  Spring is a great time to visit(less heat, fewer crowds).  If
you do fly into Salt Lake, realize that Yellowstone is not all that far of a
drive to the north!  Hope this helps.  Oh yeah, do not forget the slot
canyons near Page(antelope, etc)  Hey you may have to spend a month in the
area, or just relocate here like I did!!

Ron Crabtree
Santa Fe,  NM
USA