[OM] Re: Shoot the moon

Subject: [OM] Re: Shoot the moon
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 21:30:17 -0800
Catmaster says:

>My feeble attempt to shoot the moon is at:
>www.spottedcats.com/olympus
>This is my Christmas present to you all.
>A FULL MOON!!!!

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, so I guess I will.

One of my photography books notes that if you shoot astronomical objects,
you need to keep the shutter speed at 1/2 second or faster.  Anything
slower, and the effects of the earth's rotation begin to show--detail on
the moon blurs, and stars begin to elongate from points into elipses.

Now of course, if you have an equatorial mount that follows the earth's
rotation, you can long-expose to your heart's content.  And the 1/2 second
limit doesn't apply for things like star trails, aurorae, comets or the
sun's corona during a total eclipse.

--- Peter