Re: [OM] Re: question on the moon

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: question on the moon
From: mahlon.r.haunschild@xxxxxx
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:13:01 -0600
Sam,

The full moon is a notoriously low-contrast object; if your 1Kmm lens was a
conventional photo telephoto, it's entirely likely that craters and other
surface features would be difficult to discern in the viewfinder screen because
of low contrast, and low resolution on the screen.  This is why most of the
astrophotos of the moon's surface that you see are actually shot in regions near
the terminator to get more contrast and oblique lighting.  It's analogous to a
ring-lighted photo subject, only worse because the light source in this case
(the sun) is actually almost a point source and is almost directly behind you,
the observer.

BTW, that must have been one helluva TV camera lens to do what you suggest...

regards,

m.