longish/Musing over technique, was [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs

Subject: longish/Musing over technique, was [OM] Sunpack433 D / Vivitar 283 Qs
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:49:45 -0800
===You and several others have recommended simply using manual flash. I
think
this is the only sure way to completely predictable results, but TTL is
often preferable when you can't calculate manual flash quickly and you will
simply miss shots altogether if you do rely to some degree on the smarts of
the camera.  It's helpful to experiment with TTL to get a feel for using
the exp comp dial to fine tune the result.  I wish TTL were more a mindless
path to perfect exposure, but it's not, like almost everything worth
troubling with in photography.

Good holidays!

Joel Wilcox====

In one way it _is_ a mindless path to perfect exposures.
I use the T-32 with OM2 on a bracket.
With iso 200 print film TTL works just fine.
Ask the lab to print for the faces only.
The background goes where ever it will.

Slides or ambient / flash mix are another story.
It takes a flash meter and more thinking to get what you want.

Regular auto is another matter.  The angle of acceptance
will not be the angle of view and the background fools the sensor.
Try tighter compositions in all cases.  Short of a flash meter
it works the best for me.

Manual flash is not always the answer here either.
If you calculate the exposure you then need to:
1-change the f stop
or
2-move closer or farther away.

Selected f stops can be very important in flash work with people.
recycle time and depth of field formost.
Composition and the lens attached usually negate moving.
Also, manual means a full discharge every exposure.
10 seconds recharge as opposed to almost instant.

In conclusion (oh finally)
I never use compensation for print film.
I always use a flash meter for static subjects,
including posed portraits and multi light exposures.
I rarely if ever have used flash for trannies, just no need.
Prints are what I am after with people shots.

Now, between the holidays and the millenium / y2k thing
we should have ample reason to burn lots of film.
Have fun everyone.  And Merry Christmas Ho, Ho, Ho....

CL