Re: [OM] Zuikoholism and Christmas

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikoholism and Christmas
From: GMA <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:39:09 -0800
"John A. Prosper" wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, LARS BUNDESEN wrote:
>
> |Hi,
> |
> |I just got myself a very nice gift for Christmas: a 180 mm/2.
> |

> The Zuiko 180/2 is a 10-element, 8-group APO design utilizing internal
> focusing for rapid focusing and to achieve a near focus of 1.6 meters
> (5.3 feet---I realize that you probably employ the metric system of
> measurement.  However, there are those like myself you still use the
> old English system). It's state-of-the-art resolution and contrast is
> due to the "utilization of newly developed optical glass with special
> low dispersion and abnormal dispersion characteristics."

Gary's tests make it look like the 180/2 is almost the equal of the
250/2, making these 2 probably the best of the Zuiko breed.  I've been
extrememly happy with results from mine, for which I paid a bit more
than Lars did for his.  Good goin Lars.

> It weighs in
> at 1900 grams (4 pounds, 3 ounces), making it lighter than the popular
> 300/2.8 APO designs, even when paired with a good 2X TC to yield a
> 250/2.8 system.

Slight error here.  Coupled with the Zuiko 1.4X, the 180/2 becomes a
250/2.8  And the performance of this pair is astounding, see Gary's
tests.  If you don't really need the extra stop, this is a great way to
achieve fast performance at 250mm  And it's a lot lighter than the 250/2
as well. Coupled with the 2X, performance at 360/4 suffers a bit but it
still delivers 'A-' performance at F/4 with 'Very High' contrast.
Performance being almost on a par with the 300/4.5.

  With a length of 174mm, it's a little less than 7
> inches.  It's compact length and employment of a tripod mount (at
> least when new) disallowed the use of internal filters, its only
> liability.  Consequently, it takes expensive 100mm filters.

And I've yet to see any 100mm filters advertised anywhere.  Fortunately,
mine came with an Olympus 1A filter.

George