Re: [OM] CD ROMs and Archival Storage

Subject: Re: [OM] CD ROMs and Archival Storage
From: "earthlink" <catsmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 17:39:53 -0800
Well, ok I do concede that we do not know exactly how long CDRs will last,
but I still have never heard of a 5" disc delaminating under normal
conditions, Have you or Ken ever seen a delaminated one?
I have repaired thousands of CDs including CD-ROM and playstation discs in
the last couple of years, some of them dating back to when CDs first came
out(about 16 years ago), and yes I have seen many with pits in the label,
but no signs of delamination. Those with pits in the label have almost
always been on discs that used the clear lacquer coat only vs. those with a
solid silkscreen. The pits don't just happen though, it also has do with how
they are handled.
I would still archive on CDRs for now, not magnetic media, when something
better comes along in ten years or so, it should be easy enough to transfer.

I believe your right though about CDR/Ws, I would not feel safe with those
keeping data flawlessly  for ten years.

Catmaster and
Master disc repairer.