Re: [OM] Digital 35mm replacement

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital 35mm replacement
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 08:11:02 -0600
On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 12:18:19PM +0000, Ian A. Nichols wrote:
> the "viewfinder" could (should) be an LCD screen which could also be
> located anywhere, either viewed directly or through a pop-up mirror &
> lens arrangement (reversing the image appropriately shouldn't be
> difficult to do electronically).

This seems to be the conventional wisdom...so let me argue it.

I have a digicam (a Minolta Dimage V) with no optical viewfinder, only an
LCD. While it seems a good idea at first, it has a few problems, the biggest
being that it's limited by the CCD's sensitivity. Using a digicam with an
ASA 100 equivalent sensor indoors, especially with a less-than-fast lens, by
only looking at what the sensor sees has the major drawback that, *even if
the camera can get a good picture with flash*, you can't compose the image!
The electronic viewfinder will be almost entirely dark.

I, for one, won't consider replacing an OM with an electronic camera unless
and until it gives me not only high resolution and Zuiko lenses and the
other factors you describe, but also true through-the-lens viewing.