Re: [OM] OM3 Q

Subject: Re: [OM] OM3 Q
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 00:38:16 +0100
Acer V wrote:

> Doing some research on the -1(n) vs -2(n) decision (settled for 1n BTW) at
> the e-SIF, I downloaded and printed the OM-3Ti w/ 50/1.2 lens Tshirt
> image, and drooled over that for a while. Anyhow, how does the 3 compare
> to the 1 in terms of tactile and feel in operation? And Hans (or anyone
> else), if you can make more of those images in high enough resolution for
> printing on inkjet (8.5x11 inch and larger poster size), please do! I can
> start plastering things with Zuiko stuff :)
>
> /AV
> --
> webpage under re-organization; "We apologize for the inconvenience" -Adams

Acer,

While I can not comment on the Tshirt images, I can say a little about
how I feel about the OM3Ti versus the OM1(n).

First I say that they are very much alike in handling, as one would
expect from 1 digit OMs. Apart from the vastly different light meters,
the primary difference I notice is that the film wind of the OM1 feels smoother
than the OM3. On the other hand the wind stroke distance of the OM3 is
shorter, so it is a bit quicker.
Another difference is the size of the shutter release button. It is larger
on the OM3 than on the OM1 and in my opinion more comfortable.
Also I have a (very subjective) feeling that the shutter and mirror of the
OM3Ti vibrates slightly less.
My general impression is that the OM3Ti somehow feels more precice when
handling the various knobs and levers, but it is a very subtle thing. Or
maybe I am just trying to defend the load of money I paid for the thing.

Anyway, the OM3Ti is supposed to be very rugged. I can say for sure that
its beautiful dark gray surface is a lot hardier than the black OM4Ti.
But I tend to use my 20 years old OM1 when things get really rough, mostly
because I can better afford to crash an old OM1 than a new OM3Ti.

Even though I am very happy with my OM3Ti I have to say that a good used
OM1(n) will give a lot more value for money. Especially if one, like you,
is into astro photography, as the '3 has no MLU or self release.

I hope these ramblings can be of some use to you or for somebody else somewhere.

Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://home.worldonline.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"