Re: [OM] oly (2nd) body advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] oly (2nd) body advice needed
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:56:01 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, John Hermanson wrote:

:Did this body suffer impact damage?  One good check for impact is to look at
:the space between the edge of the bottom cover and where the front casting
:with body mount sticks out.  There should be  an even space of about  0.5mm
:from side to side.

Check; clear.

:In cases of bad impact, this space is high on one side, low on the other,
:and you can SEE it.

No external or cosmetic signs of any damage or impact. Fell ~3feet onto
linoleum floor. Point of impact (I think) was either the bottom of the
mount towards the timer side and/or bottom plate edge towards the front.
No chipped paint anywhere.

:Very bad impact will crack the front casting in the corner next to the self
:timer lever, or along the other 90 degree corner on the side where the sync
:socket is.

If you looked at it, you couldn't tell that it was whacked. There seems to
be some internal damage. Again, cross-checking against the front
(lensmount) side of the Olympus 2XA teleconverter, there seems to be
nothing wrong. the mount is round, flat. Lenses will fit flush against it,
but won't twist more than a degree or so. Speed ring rotates from "B" to
1/2 smoothly and with positive clickstops, but stops right before the 1/4
speed with increasing tension, not quite reaching the 1/4 clickstop. Meter
works fine, changing with shutterspeed in it's limited range, mirror
action and shutter works well at 1 and .5 secs as well as on B, advance is
still smooth, etc. Early next week we find out if it can be repaired or
not.

/AV
--
webpage under re-organization; "We apologize for the inconvenience" -Adams